- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp. light molasses
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. unsalted stick butter
- 2 tbsp. low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
Makes 12 Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners
- To make the cupcakes, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, and salt in small bowl. Whisk together pumpkin, sugar, oil, eggs, and molasses in a large bowl. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and whisk until smooth. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely on rack.
- To make frosting, combine brown sugar, butter and milk in small saucepan over medium heat, Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to boil. Boil 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla to brown sugar mixture. With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat until smooth. Spread thin layer of frosting on cooled cupcakes.
WW POINTS VALUE: 6 pts (1 cupcake per serving)
Note: This recipe appears in the WW Tastier than Takeout Cookbook. These cupcakes are perfect for this time of year with the holidays and all. Don't worry if they don't look like the elegant desserts you find at a bake shop or fancy restaurant. These fall treats are to die for and will quickly warm your kitchen and soul. I really love how the flavors of pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger and homemade caramel blend so well together. These are not your typical cupcakes because they're not loaded with as much sugar and other additives like other cupcakes. They are fluffy and moist and you won't miss the buttercream frosting. You can also use coconut oil or Butter Infused Olive Oil from The Imperial Olive in Williamsburg, VA. You can visit www.TheImperialOlive.com for more information. These cupcakes are perfect for dessert or as a take-home treat for your dinner guests.